This recipe is derived from Medical Medium Bread: https://www.medicalmedium.com/blog/medical-medium-bread. You can follow his recipe that has no oil at all.
Since I want to use buckwheat flour more than gluten free oat flour I modified the recipe as it follows:
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseeds plus 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup organic unsweetened applesauce
- 7 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups organic buckwheat flour
- 3/4 millet flour
- 1 1/2 cups arrowroot starch
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder: I use this one, I am not affiliated and I post it here because it is not easy to find a clean one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019DRD32M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- 1 tsp of Himalayan salt.
- 1 tbsp organic avocado oil
- Optional 1/2 cup sesame seeds (depends on your taste) seeds may require a bit more water
- Optional 1/4 cup poppy seeds (depends on your taste)
Mix the ground flax seeds with water and set aside for 7 minutes to thicken. Separately mix the apple sauce, maple syrup, oil, thickened flaxseeds and water. Whisk until homogenized.
Mix the buckwheat flour, millet flour, arrowroot starch, salt and baking powder until homogenized (I do it in the Vitamix, but probably a mixer does a better job). Add the wet ingredients and stir until evenly mixed. Optionally add the sesame seeds and poppy seeds to the mix. Leave for 20 minutes. In my experience it will not expand too much with the buckwheat flour.
After you put the batter to rest, preheat the oven to 350F/180C so it will be ready when the batter rested enough.
Pour the batter into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper (or two pans if you want smaller breads that bake faster). I actually use a muffin tray and a loaf pan because we like the cute muffin shape <3. Bake for 50-60 min depending on the oven. I check the muffins about 40 min into it because they get done faster. I use toothpick, if it comes up clean, they are done.
Remove from the oven and tip it over a rack with no parchment paper to cool off. Slice and enjoy.