Growing up in Romania, in communism, we had no heat in the apartments all winter long, even though the snow was even 3 feet high outside and the windows and doors were not air tight so sometimes the snow was inside as well. I know now it seems that this was in a different life time but that it was my reality for the first 20 years of my life. In such hard conditions, of course we were getting sick sometimes and it was not easy to heal a cold or a cough. So we needed very strong remedies and the one I want to talk today is the black radish remedy with honey, very powerful when it came to intense colds and stubborn coughs.
- one large black radish
- 2 teaspoons of honey
Wash well the black radish, cut off the top part, about a quarter down and keep the top because that will be the lid. Now scoop with a spoon to create a deep hole in the black radish, making sure that the bottom of the radish is intact. You practically make a bowl out of the radish. Put the radish bowl on a plate or a cup to be stable and out 2 teaspoons of raw local honey into the black radish bowl. Cover the radish bowl with the top of the radish/lid and let it sit at least 5 hours, ideally over night. The radish releases a juice full of amazing nutrients, minerals and vitamin C, that combined with the honey it does miracles for your throat. Use a tablespoon about 3 times a day, making sure you don’t eat or drink anything right after that to allow the juice to work its magic.
We, as children, loved the taste of it so I hope everyone will love the earth sweet flavor of it.
Many of us know the benefits of raw local honey but not many of us know how amazing is the black radish!
Black radish has many health benefits:
- high in antioxidants, helps with colds, coughs, congestion and expectorant
- Boost the liver function and health, helps the liver detox and supports the bile flow,
- helps reduce anemia
- helps with diabetes
- Support the thyroid balance
- support healthy levels of cholesterol
- helps with healthy blood pressure levels
- supports healthy digestion (including bloating and acidity)
- improves immune system
- diuretic, helps bladder health and it helps with kidney and gallbladder stones
- increases mental alertness and focus
- helps the hair and scalp
- improves skin health from inside out
- reduce weight
- contains Vitamin A, vitamin C, many of the vitamin B, (B9, folate, B6 etc), vitamin K, Vitamin E, minerals like Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Iron, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Phosphorus, Sulfur, flavonoids, anthocyanins,